- 401(k) - a qualified retirement plan that allows employees to make pre-tax contributions, governed by Section 401(k) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Acid ratio - current assets less inventories divided by current liabilities. Also known as "Quick ratio."
- Accounting - the recording, classifying, summarizing and interpreting in a significant manner and in terms of money, transactions and events of a financial character. See Accountant List for a directory of U.S. accountants.
- Accounts payable - trade accounts of businesses representing obligations to pay for goods and services received.
- Accounts receivable - trade accounts of businesses representing moneys due for goods sold or services rendered evidenced by notes, statements, invoices or other written evidence of a present obligation.
- Amortization - (1) in accounting and tax, the method in which an intangible asset is depreciated over a specified period of time; (2) in finance, a gradual reduction of term debt by periodic payment sufficient to pay current interest and to eliminate the principal at maturity.
- Appraised value - the value placed on an item, product or business by an appraiser, recognized for experience in a particular field.
- Assets - the property of a person, association, corporation, or estate.
- Assumption - the act of assuming/undertaking another's debts or obligations.
- ERISA - the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, a set of laws that protect the participants and beneficiaries of retirement and welfare plans.
- Joint venture - an arrangement in which two or more business partners undertake to work together in a joint economic activity, typically resulting in the formation of a new and separate legal entity such as a partnership, limited liability company or corporation. [More on joint ventures ...]
- Merger - a combination of two or more separate legal entities into a single entity by means of a statutory process. [More on mergers ...]
- Quick ratio - current assets less inventories divided by current liabilities. Also known as "Acid ratio."
- SIMPLE IRA - an Individual Retirement Account that can be used to make pre-tax contributions for business owners and their employees.
- Trademark - a distinctive mark used used to identify the source of goods or services. A trademark may be a name, word, phrase, logo, symbol, design, image, or a combination of these elements. [More on trademarks ...]
- Trade secret - a formula, practice, process, design, instrument, pattern, or compilation of information used by a business to obtain an advantage over competitors within the same industry or profession. [More on trade secrets ...]
Back to top